https://www.personalbestfitnessstudios.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Image-Sourdough.jpg 225 300 David Blair http://www.personalbestfitnessstudios.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pblogo.png David Blair2021-09-02 05:51:582021-09-02 05:51:5810 Reasons to Eat Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough often has a lower glycaemic index than that of other breads so it doesn’t spike blood sugar as dramatically. This is because it depletes damaged starches within it, simply by its fermentative nature.
- Sourdough bread contains the bacteria Lactobacillus in a higher proportion to yeast than do other breads. More Lactobacillus means higher production of lactic acid, which means less of the potentially dangerous phytic acid. And what does that mean?
- Easier digestion is made even more possible by the bacteria-yeast combo working to predigest the starches in the grains.
Pre-digestion by sourdough = less digestion for you.
- Sourdough preparation is a much lengthier process than standard commercial yeast breads. This longer prep time results in the protein gluten being broken down into amino acids. Again, this translates to easier and more pleasant digestion, sometimes even for those who are sensitive to gluten.
- Acetic acid – which inhibits the growth of mould, is produced in the making of sourdough. So, sourdough naturally preserves itself. Pretty neat considering the toxic preservatives thrown into the food supply today.
- The fermentation process increases the content of beneficial bacteria in the bread AND the gut. Healthy gut bacteria = happy body.
- Additionally, these bacteria control yeast population in the gut, so yeast overgrowth and infection are less likely to occur.
- The integrity of sourdough is so complex that it contains a host of goodness in terms of nutrients. In sourdough, you can find vitamins E1-B6, B12, folate, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin E, selenium, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium-in addition to uniquely balanced proteins and fatty acids. Whoa! This is in contrast to most commercially produced breads, which maintain only a fraction of their original nutrient content after all the processing they undergo.
- Sourdough bread made with wild yeast, bacteria, and whole grain flour is the oldest and most original form of leavened bread. It truly is an ancient art that is crafted in harmony with nature. It’s only natural that we eat it as opposed to other breads.
- And finally, another good reason is the FLAVOUR Tangy and distinctive, it will undoubtedly leave you wanting another bite.