https://www.personalbestfitnessstudios.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Borscht_served2.jpg 555 845 David Blair http://www.personalbestfitnessstudios.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pblogo.png David Blair2015-12-10 05:51:482015-12-23 01:25:22Borscht
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups steamed cubed beets, 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potato is just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add beets and vinegar; return to a boil. Cover and continue cooking until the broth is deep red and the potato is very soft, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Combine sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkle of parsley.
- 172 calories
- 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono)
- 6 mg cholesterol
- 18 g carbohydrates
- 0 g added sugars
- 5 g protein
- 3 g fiber
- 395 mg sodium
- 534 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (15% dv).